In an effort to spur greater energy efficiency gains throughout the Commonwealth, the VAEEC is launching our Energizing Efficiency Campaign. This campaign will showcase energy efficiency projects and programs of all scales and sectors to show how energy efficiency helps Virginia businesses, governments, homeowners, and schools save money on energy bills while reducing energy consumption.
Below are some commonly asked questions about the campaign. For additional details and the submission form, visit the Energizing Efficiency Campaign page.
- Who can participate?
Any company, government agency, academic institution, organization, or individual is welcome to participate in the campaign so long as they meet the following eligibility criteria
- The project or program must be located in Virginia
- The project or program must be completed
- Actual or projected energy savings must be provided in engineering units (kWh, BTU, etc)
There is no minimum requirement for how long a project or program has been completed.
- Can the same entity submit multiple participation forms?
There is no limit to the number of forms an entity can submit. However, note that each submission should be for a different project or program offered in Virginia.
- Do submitted projects or programs have to be affiliated with a VAEEC member organization or company?
No. We encourage any organization, company, institution, etc., member or not, to apply.
- What will campaign participants receive?
Everyone who submits a participation form will be featured in the campaign and will receive the following:
- Spotlight on the VAEEC website featuring photos and submission summary
- Featured post on VAEEC social media platforms
- Publicity in VAEEC’s monthly e-newsletters (~1,400 subscribers)
- Acknowledgment at the fall Energy Efficiency Forum
- Automatically nominated for the Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards
- Your project/program summary turned into a case study
- How does this campaign differ from / coincide with the Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards?
While the goal of the Energizing Efficiency Campaign is to showcase as many energy efficiency projects and programs in Virginia as possible, the Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards’ goal is to recognize leaders in the industry.
Over the past seven years, the VAEEC has held the Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards to honor individuals, organizations, and companies for their energy efficiency achievements. Nominees would apply for an award, and a selection committee would score each application to determine a handful of winners to recognize.
Instead, everyone who submits a participation form will be featured in the Energizing Efficiency Campaign and receive the corresponding benefits (see #4). No additional steps need to be taken in order to be considered for a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award. Submissions that are particularly innovative, go above and beyond the norm, or have a considerable impact will be selected by the VAEEC Education & Events Committee to receive a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award (see #6).
- How will the Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards winners be selected?
While every eligible project/program will be recognized in the Energizing Efficiency Campaign, only the highest-scored projects/programs will receive a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award. No additional steps need to be taken to be considered for a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award.
The VAEEC Education & Events Committee, which is composed of VAEEC members who are energy experts across different sectors, will evaluate the project/program summaries submitted in the campaign participation form. Each form will be scored using the same criteria. The main consideration for the committee will be the degree of innovation and leadership taken, as well as the impact/potential impact of the nominee’s efforts on reducing overall energy use within their sector.
- Can Education & Event Committee members participate in the campaign?
Each Education & Events Committee member will be responsible for reviewing submissions to determine which ones qualify for a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award. Members are allowed to submit a form to participate in the campaign; however, they will not be allowed to weigh in on whether or not their submission should receive an award.
8. Can previous Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards winners participate in the campaign?
Yes! While previous award winners will not be considered for the 2023 Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards, they are eligible to be a part of the Energizing Efficiency Campaign.
9. The process to participate in the campaign seems simple. Is that all you want to know?
Yes! We are requiring a 500-word maximum summary, to be written in the third person. We ask that you describe the energy efficiency measures completed and the actual or projected energy savings. Additional information could focus on why this project/program was implemented, what challenges were faced, and what benefits have been gained.
10. How should I report energy savings?
For an established energy efficiency program or project, report energy savings in engineering units (kWh, BTU, etc.). Report expenditures or energy savings in terms of an achieved savings level over a stated time period (spent $XX over X years and achieved XX kWh savings over X years). For a new or recently implemented program or project, describe savings in terms of its estimated achievable potential.
11. When is the deadline to submit the participation form?
In order to be nominated for a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award at the fall 2023 Energy Efficiency Forum, participation forms must be submitted by Tuesday, August 1st.
12. Does it cost money to participate?
No, there is no fee to participate in the campaign.
13. When will you start featuring submissions?
Once a participation form is submitted, VAEEC staff will check that it meets the eligibility criteria (see #1). Once that has been confirmed, we will add the provided summary and photos to the website and begin sharing the project/program on social media.
All campaign participants will also be featured during the fall Energy Efficiency Forum on October 5th at the University of Richmond. This includes but is not limited to, listing the project/program name and implementing entity in the digital event program and sharing names and photos on event slides.
14. When will you notify projects/programs selected to receive a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award?
We will notify the selected projects/programs via email by Wednesday, September 6th.
15. When and where is the Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards ceremony?
The Awards ceremony will take place at the University of Richmond Jepson Alumni Center on October 5th during the VAEEC’s 2023 Energy Efficiency Forum. We want this to be a networking atmosphere where energy efficiency industry representatives can celebrate our collective efforts in the energy efficiency field.
16. Are Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award winners required to attend the ceremony on October 5th?
Yes, everyone selected to receive a Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award must attend the Awards ceremony at the Energy Efficiency Forum.
Registration is required and will close on September 22nd. Award winners will have their registration fee waived.
17. What will Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Award winners receive?
Award winners will receive one glass award. The VAEEC will supply paper award certificates if additional awards are requested. All winners will be provided with a digital Virginia Energy Efficiency Leadership Awards badge to proudly display on social media, websites, and any other places they so choose.