The Energy Efficiency & Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) Program administered by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) provides assistance to local governments, states, and tribes to implement strategies to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy usage and fossil fuel emissions. These funds will be distributed in three ways:
- Direct Formula Funding: Larger localities are eligible for a direct formula allocation from DOE. Total allocations have been released. Localities will choose to receive their allocation via a grant or a voucher.
- State Applications: The Virginia Department of Energy will receive an additional $2.6M for EECBGs; at least 60% must go to localities that are not eligible for formula funding.
- Competitive Program: Approximately $8M will be provided to communities not eligible for formula funding through a competitive DOE process.
The VAEEC has developed an EECBG Toolkit, a comprehensive document with a summary page, to help Virginia localities navigate the program’s options, resources, and application process. This document will continue to be updated as more information is released by the DOE.
EECBG Funding Deadlines
In order to receive any EECBG funds, localities must apply through the DOE.
Direct Formula Grants: Localities eligible to receive formula funding directly via grant or voucher must submit the following:
- Pre-Award Information Sheet
due April 28, 2023deadline extended to July 31, 2023
- Energy Efficiency & Conservation Strategy due within one year of the effective date of the award
- Full application due by January 31, 2024
Competitive Program: Localities ineligible for formula funding (i.e. not on this list) can apply for a DOE EECBG Competitive Program grant by submitting the following:
- Concept Paper by June 5, 2023
- Full application
due by July 31, 2023deadline extended to August 21, 2023
View the VAEEC EECBG Toolkit above or visit the U.S. DOE EECBG Website for details.